Friday, February 09, 2007

Red Wine Kinda Mood

Hey. Ever get the urge to just pour yourself a glass of wine. But not just any wine will do--it's gotta be red. Well, I'm having one of those moments this evening, so I uncorked two bottles I acquired on vineyard trips, a Syrah from Argentina and a Pinot Noir from France. I'm diggin on the Syrah a little more than the Pinot Noir to be honest--its a little TOO austere for me. Go figure, its a Sancerre Rouge from the Loire Valley. Anybody else get in the mood to just pour a big glass of red wine, especially when its 15 degrees outside?

2002 Bodega Navarro Correas 'Colleccion Privada' Syrah, Mendoza, Argentina--blackberry and plum aromas, smooth and silky on the palate with ripe black fruit flavors. Touch of spice. Medium bodied. Not bad for a wine I picked up in a grocery store in Mendoza back in 2004.

2002 Domaine du Carrou (Dominique Roger) Sancerre Rouge, Loire Valley, France--a light bodied Pinot Noir with dried fruit and earth notes. Seems a little thin and overly austere for my taste. Found this one in the wine shop at Le Printemps in Paris back in 2005. Another glass of Syrah, please?

What do you all like to drink when its the dead of winter?

No comments: