Tuesday, November 15, 2005

David Greggory-An Experience for the Eyes and Mouth

I must admit that my recent visit to David Greggory was a most memorable experience. Not only was my company an excellent choice, but Chef Greggory Hill's succulent cuisine was a feast for both the eyes and the palate.

The evening began with a few nibbles--Chef's signature trio of deviled eggs and his Asian-fusion take on hot wings. Usually, I am not overly interested in hot wings, but these were absolutely the best I have had yet and extremely messy--but that is to be expected, right?

But the real show-stopper was the main course, or should I say courses. Recently, the menu has been updated with a number of half-sized entrees--somewhat like tapas style, but more elaborate and enough to share with another person. I had also brought in a couple of special wines to pair with the meal: a 1990 Chateau de la Gaffeliere St. Emilion and a 1973 Sauternes from A. Moueix et Fils.

We began with the seared jumbo lump crabcake
with red bell pepper relish, asparagus and mango shallot puree. This was a light and tasty start to our culinary journey.

Next came the braised pork shank with caramelized onions, double-smoked bacon and roasted tomato which was absolutely to die for. The pork was literally falling off the bone--moist and succulent.

Next was Not Quite Mom's Meatloaf stuffed with foie gras mousse served with a roasted tomato herb sauce and whole grain mustard mashed potatoes. True to the name, this is NOT your Mom's meatloaf, but Chef Hill's rich, decadent version and the perfect match for the 1990 Bordeaux.

Lastly, we dug into the grilled lamb loin chop with manchego onion crisps, micro greens and lemon-fig glaze, one of my favorites of the evening. I couldn't help but almost devour all of the lemon-fig glaze.

Finally, it was time for something sweet to match the 1973 Sauternes. This wine was stunning--notes of burnt caramel, butterscotch and nuts. It almost reminded me of a niceMadeiraa or an Oloroso Sherry. We paired the wine with an intense, decadent dessert: The cloud-in-a-pudding, which is a cup of dark chocolate pudding with mascarpone, warm chocolate sauce, whipped cream and cookie crumbles.

I think I will need to diet for the next week prior to my trip to Spain!

David Greggory Restau-Lounge
2030 M Street, NW
Washington, DC
202.872-8700


Photos courtesy of David Greggory

No comments: