Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Spring Into Spain

This evening I assisted in hosting a concierge soiree at La Tasca Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant in the hip Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington, VA. Over 50 concierge and front desk staff from area hotels came to sip Sangria and nibble on Spanish delights.

I skipped the Sangria and went straight for the wine: the 2004 Valdelainos Verdejo. What a show-stopper! Light and crisp, this must be Spain's answer to Sauvignon Blanc. I had first tasted this wine several weeks ago during a group dinner outing to Oyamel Cocina Mexicano. The nose is reminiscent of Sauvignon Blanc with a hint of nuts. Herbal and citrus dominate the palate with racy acidity to wash it down on the finish. I would pair this wine with simple preparations of seafood and light meats. Nothing too overpowering, which would mask the freshness of the wine. I am now on the hunt to add this wine to my collection as well.

No comments: